Tuesday, February 22, 2011

starbucks and sustainability rant

everyone was a musician.
the world would be an incredible place.
wars would be rap battles, language would be brutal democracy.
i think i may have to re-write 1984. :O
just kidding, that's a silly, fallacious idea.

I went to Starbucks today and they offered me a plastic spill stopper. I wrote customer support a letter I am rather satisfied with in regard to instance of plastic. I understand that they're catering to convenience, and yes, people need to take a sip before they drive like a maniac. And yes, I understand that I can grab one and keep it with me for future Starbucks excursions. Yes, I am aware I can bring in my own travel mug. However, that's not going to stop the majority from picking up little plastic stoppers. I'm not a hippie, but the world is far too obsessed with plastic and frankly the plastic stoppers are beyond unnecessary, they compromise Starbucks' environmental initiative and social responsibility. If you're going to incorporate Fair Trade and post-consumer product sleeves, get rid of the damn plastic.

This video has a beautiful beat and is on a rather serious issue more people should be aware of. <3peace.>

No comments:

Post a Comment